Children spend a lot of time sleeping because their body is still developing and growing. For this reason, the right mattress plays a crucial role in their growth and development. With the number of options available, it is only natural to feel confused and overwhelmed. Here are a few things you need to take note of when choosing the perfect mattress for your child.
Buying A Toddler Bed: Is It The Right Decision?
Infants need to sleep on a firm crib mattress to prevent Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) or suffocation; however, once your child grows a year older, the dangers of SIDS are reduced. If you notice your toddler outgrowing his crib, it might be time to look for a big-kid bed.
A toddler bed has a small bed frame that can fit a crib-sized mattress. It also comes in various styles and designs which can fit your child’s personality. Purchasing this type of bed for your toddler needs proper consideration. Young children need a lot of sleep during the night and in the middle of the day; thus providing them with a comfortable, supportive, and safe mattress will encourage high quality and restful sleep which benefits you and your child.
Factors To Consider When Buying The Right Mattress
Types Of Toddler Mattress: You can look for a mattress that is specifically created for toddler beds, which are bigger than a crib but smaller than a twin-sized bed. There are three main mattress types you can choose from:
- Foam Mattress: This is comprised of a foam layer which is placed inside the cover to protect the mattress. They are also considered lighter than other types of cushions. However, there are some pediatricians who don’t recommend this type of mattress because it is too soft; thus, it might be unable to assist and encourage proper bone development and growth.
- Innerspring Mattress: This mattress contains coils inside that offers excellent support. This is an excellent mattress for toddlers since it provides back support and allows proper spine alignment.
- Pocket Sprung Mattress: This type of mattress have features that are more suitable for adults. In addition, it is more recommended for those who sleep with a partner. Since children are more likely to sleep alone, an open coil mattress is much more advisable.
Quality Of The Mattress: You must look for a mattress that can provide your child comfort and keep him safe while sleeping. With that said, you must take the time to look for high quality mattresses. But what makes a quality mattress?
- It must be heavy in weight. You must compare the weight of the mattresses you have chosen.
- It must be firm. Firm mattresses are better for toddlers and babies since it ensures proper back support which is advisable for their developing bodies. You must also look for a cushion that springs back to its initial state after being compressed. To test the firmness of the mattress, you can firmly press it and watch how long it takes to spring back.
If you are thinking of getting an innerspring mattress for the toddler bed, you must not only consider the number of coils. You must also take into account the coil gauge, border rods, and the durability of the coil materials.
Size: The toddler mattress must be a perfect fit to the bed. This means that there should be no gaps around the edges, and you must not be able to fit two fingers between the mattress and the toddler bed. These gaps and spaces might lead to injuries; thus, you need to make sure that the mattress in the toddler bed fits each other.
Other factors you need to consider must include the materials used to create the mattress and its safety standards. Make sure that the cushion does not have any toxic chemicals which might be harmful for your child’s respiratory system.
About the author:
Kris Bennette offers tips on how to choose toddler mattresses to help parents who are looking for the right toddler bed. She also occasionally writes for online mattress stores, such as parklanemattresses.com.