The best way to end a long and stressful day is to climb on your soft and cozy bed. But what if your bedroom fails to provide you with a relaxing and comfortable sleep environment? How can you turn this private space into a sleep haven?
To create a private, relaxing, and peaceful space where you can be at ease, you need to consider improving your bedroom. Home improvements do not only apply in your kitchen or bathroom. Choosing the right bed, pillows, sheets, linen, and bedding are all part of the home improvement process. You have to realize that you can change the experience in your bedroom by simply changing these bedroom accessories. Here are a few practical tips to turn your bedroom into an inviting space which is conducive for sleeping.
Sleep On The Right Bed
Your mattress and other bedding accessories can contribute to a high quality sleep as well as a sleepless night. But with the number of options available, how can you choose the best one for you?
Since the focal point of your bedroom is your bed, you need to properly evaluate your options and choose one that can best satisfy your needs. First and foremost, you need to consider the most obvious factors, such as the size of the bed, your budget, and how you can get it in and out of your bedroom. Other factors you must take into account include your health issues and allergies. When choosing a bed on a retail store, here’s what you can do:
- Lay down on the bed to evaluate its comfort and support levels.
- Spend at least 10 minutes in it, and try as many different positions as possible.
- You can also place your hand underneath the bottom bow of your back then try to move your hand away. If you can easily remove your hand from that position, it basically means that the mattress is too firm.
- If you are sleeping with a spouse, you need to test the bed together. Determine whether your movements are easily transferred throughout the bed. If yes, then you need to check other types of mattress.
Choose An Appropriate Pillow
Did you know that pillows are essential bedroom accessories that can provide you with excellent sleep?
According to Vincenzo Rucco, an expert in physiotherapy, a change of pillow can address common complaints of sleep disorder as well as common back and neck pains. A pillow can determine whether you will have a good night sleep. With that said, it is not advisable to choose and purchase any random pillow.
Although there is no ideal pillow that will suit everyone’s preferences, you need to consider certain factors when choosing one. You must consider your height, weight, and health requirements. This means that you must take into account your special needs in case you have back or neck injuries. Here are a few tips:
- You can choose a regular rectangular-shaped pillow which has a width of about one meter.
- If you are experiencing back pains, you can choose a pillow made with memory foam or natural fillers.
- Choosing a silicone or latex pillow can also provide you with excellent comfort since it can sustain the weight of your head.
Buying Bed Sheets
The most important thing you need to remember when buying bed sheets is making sure that the sheets you chose will fit your mattress; thus, before you go shopping, you must first know the size of your mattress. Once you determine the size, you must then decide the thread count you want.
You can look for a set that has at least 400 thread count. Avoid choosing sheets that use synthetic threads although they are durable and cheap. You must look for bed sheets made with cotton or cotton/silk or linen. If you want a soft and high quality sheet, you must consider a bed sheet made from 100% cotton since it easily absorbs moisture and it is pleasant to the touch.
Following these tips can help you turn your bedroom into a comfortable and welcoming sleep haven. These tips are very practical and it can make a huge difference in your sleep experience.
- Steve Bennett.”Steve Bennett Builders: Interior photo”. December 15, 2010. Online Image. Flickr. June 16, 2013 Image License: Creative Commons image source
About the author:
Kris Bennette is a blogger who offers home improvement tips. She also suggests her readers to visit http://www.parklanemattresses.com/Accessories/Pillows if they are looking for bedding accessories.